Fourth Estate is looking for a news editor. The candidate will work closely with other members of the editorial team to curate text, images, and video for major brand clients.
Both full-time and part-time positions are available.
- Provides a guiding influence in the process of gathering, evaluating, interpreting and packaging news fairly, accurately and consistently
- Creates, develops, organizes and edits the content of assigned news stories
- Writes assigned stories, typically is assigned less complex stories
- Generates story ideas; contributes to special features and stories; may edit multiple stories
- Determines style, edits copy to meet established tone and delivery requirements; enhances assigned content
- Assigns and coordinates stories with writers, reporters and freelancers
- Implements solutions with good editorial judgment that can be easily implemented by staff
- Implements assigned work independently with regular guidance from senior staff
- Assigned to standard editing projects; assists on complex, new and innovative projects
- Participates in developing the concepts and content to increase Fourth Estate news operations.
- Identifies trends and develops coverage for less-than-obvious stories
- Participates in determining or determines the content and focus of each assigned news story;
- Identifies and follows-up on assigned emerging stories and breaking news
- Uses strong news judgment to determine the concepts and content of assigned news stories
- Participates in creating and writing compelling content for assigned stories;
- Participates in the development of creative concepts of assigned news stories
- U.S. based applicants only
- Minimum of five (8) years journalism experience
- Able to efficiently and effectively telecommute
- Mastery of journalistic and editorial ethics, policies and strategies
- Bachelor’s degree with a preference for J-School
- Excellent communication / interpersonal skills
About Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp
We are multi-stakeholder news organization designed to build a long-term, stable and sustainable economic relationship based on equity for all members of the journalism community and for the public benefit.
It is our mission to contribute to a healthy society by fostering, supporting and incubating a sustainable and vibrant free press.